Monday, November 2, 2009

Ooooooh soooooo close!!!

What a day!!!
With this day light savings falling back an hour, for 2 nights now, Hannah has asked for bed at 6 and she actually slept till 7 this morning!!!  Amazing!  

We really didn't do much in the way of official lessons today.  Hannah seemed pretty tired and like she just needed a down day, I am thinking tomorrow will be the same as we have a doctor appointment tomorrow late morning.  The joys of schooling at home:)  

But we did do 2 work pages yesterday, I just had to take pictures of what she did!  They will be posted down below.  Today, once again, she amazed me!  I had a bunch of flash cards sitting on the coffee table.  I look over and she is sounding out the word DAD!  She was saying each sound on it's own but wasn't blending the sounds together to get the word dad.  We are so close! She then pulled out HAT, MOM, DOG, and CAT and played with the sounds:)  

But now, because of her sounds, we are just going to do a quick review of the rest of the letters, spending 1 to 2 days on each. I  have figured out a way to teach the difference of short and long vowels without getting into the rules at this age.  

My thoughts are this...

For now on, when I print a word or we work on a worksheet with words, I will highlight the short vowel with green, and the long vowel with yellow OR I was thinking of just leaving the short vowel as normal and when it comes to a long vowel, add a line under the vowel connecting to the other vowel that makes it long.  I just hesitate to teach her the 'rule' about 2 vowels and the first one does the talking when it is only right 40% of the time and I doubt she would grasp that.   Another article I read, said that when you work on words, you do something physical for each short or long. Example: whenever I say a word on paper that has a short, I tap my nose, whenever I say a word on paper that is long, I tug my ear...  So many options, I need to think on this but I am thinking the color code for now...

If there are any other thoughts out there from fellow home schoolers, please feel free to post your ideas:)  I tend to make things harder than they really are.

We will be starting Ii either tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on how tomorrow goes.  I am pretty excited, I think for a craft, Hannah can make an igloo out of Marshmallows and tooth picks, fitting eh?  Being from Canada and all:)


This is what we did for fun on Sunday.  Hannah looks at the picture and then marks the correct letter it starts with.  For mitten, we got into a discussion because she was sure it was a glove and didn't understand why there wasn't a G to chose from...
The top one, she told me what to mark, the one below, she marked herself.

Hannah was sleepy and informed me she was going to sleep in her toy box yesterday.  Didn't last long...

My attempt at being creative.  This is her Itsy Bitsy Short I Book that I had to draw up as the program we use doesn't have books for vowels.  I have to admit that I am proud of my Iguana, even though Chad says it looks like he is out of the Simpson's.  I was offended by that comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment