Tuesday, May 25, 2010

And the heat begins!


So hard to believe that 2.5 weeks ago, I was mowing the lawn in a winter coat and toque, yesterday, at 7:30pm, the 'feels like' temp was 97* out here!!!  Can you say ICK???  Tonight is T-ball, and I am thankful for the cooler weather, with our highs 'only' around 85* (mind you the window temp. reader was saying that by 10am)...

I have been playing with my laminator, this, I will say, is now a must and I have fallen in love!  I have made some pictures that velcro to our days of the week.  Pictures for t-ball, dance, preschool, swimming, sailing and camping.  Oh, must not forget play date (swing), which will be happening tomorrow.  We are getting most of our old gang together for a potluck lunch at a county park.  Hannah is super excited, and the cupcakes are baked, to beat the heat, and ready to go tomorrow!  Anyways, now she can look at the day we are on and know what we have.

I have a new favorite website, called WorksheetWorks and it has everything that you could ever want.  The Mother Load :)  I have been using it for working on printing for many months.  Started to dig a little deeper today, and WOW!!! Amazing site.  A must visit if you want work sheets on ANYTHING!  

On this site, I found a worksheet, where after you enter in the range of numbers you want, it will put them in ascending, descending, or random order.  Printed up a 1-10 and a 10-20 for Hannah, and of course, laminated :)  She read through the 1-10 as she would any letter of the alphabet, and I was impressed with her 10-20's.  We have not really worked on the number past 12, and 12 was not for very long, and a long time ago.  Some of the numbers were read like 'threeteen', 'fiveteen' and "twoteen'  and "two zero"but by the end, she had them nailed.  What impressed me, is with never working with the 13+ she understood, that the 14 made an "four"teen etc.  She has grasped the concept of the number.

For math, we have been working on sets.  Slow and steady wins this race...
If you give her blue and green cubes, she gets it,  green one pile, blue one pile.  Go!
Now, add a section of pipe cleaners, same color into the mix, she gets, focused on the color, that you can add the pipe cleaners in with the blue and green cubes to make a set.  NOW trying to get her to understand that she can also do sets by pipe cleaners (both green and blue) in one set, and the cubes (both colors) in another set, a glazed look and me being informed that I am wrong, comes up :)  Today, she got it!!!  Trying to learn that there can be more than one way to make a set, is a hard concept to to grasp.    In 'my plan' I had this scheduled for lesson #2 of last week, one week later, 4 lessons later, we get it :)

This all worked up to a lesson in our math workbook.  It had a number of animals, that could be put into many different sets.  First thing she noticed is she could do a set where they fly or a set where they swim!!! YIPPEE!!!

This makes me think, even more, how much I want to homeschool her.  Singapore Math, is a Mastery-based program.  Seems the choices are either Mastery or Spiral-based.  If she was in school, this would of been lesson 2, last week, and move on.  BUT thanks to having her home, working on this at her pace.  TRYING MANY different ways to teach this, with pom poms, magic shows, cubes, pipe cleaners, pictures...  we were able to figure it out together, and make it work.  Now tomorrow, we will not move on. I want this 'mastered',  I want her to feel comfortable with sets and she will be, maybe by the end of tomorrow, or next week.  Doesn't matter how fast she gets it, but that she just DOES get it.  In her own time, in her own way.

a picture to close out with, Hannah insisted that she wanted a picture taken with her babies.  It is a rare treat, her wanting her picture taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment