We started Grade 1 the first full week of March. Within the first week I started to notice some good changes in how Hannah was viewing her school. Our Kindergarten curric was a very strong curric but pretty boring with lots of busy work. I learned a lot from Kindergarten. We did keep 1 part of the ABeka curric for Grade 1, but the rest is out the window and we are moving onto greener pastures!
As for what we are doing:
Math, Singapore Math Grade 1. We did Singapore Math Kindergarten a year ago, and I wasn't ready to start grade 1. Abeka's math was pretty boring and looking back, should of just started this. She is back to loving math!
Science, we are going to be doing a monthly unit, starting with the human body, and working our way out to Space. We will study Dinosaurs, weather, earth, and so much more! This is a very exciting subject that will be full of fun experiments and lapbooks! No official curric here. We are just winging it!
Social Studies We are using American History Stories Vol. 1 which includes history and government. For Geography, we will be using Beginning Geography K-2 By Evan Moor
Spelling, another Evan Moor workbook Building Spelling Skills Grade 1. I love the daily lessons and I remember learning some of the techniques taught in this book in school, that I still use to this day.
Printing. We decided to go with Handwriting Without Tears. This is one area that we ran into problems with Abeka, last years curric. The busy work with the printing was too much and it really soured her on printing. Now, it is all smiles and she always asks to do an additional page. For the most part this is review, but it is fun review, with no busy work and she is learning the proper way to print letters. Once we are done with this work book and she is confident in her printing ability, I do think we will start with their Cursive.
For Language Arts I decided to stick with Abeka as she did really godo with their readers and enjoyed most of their LA workbook pages last year. THIS is mostly what we are doing, minus the Poetry and Spelling and Curisive.
No comments:
Post a Comment