Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just had a moment!


A moment where I am about to burst! One where I was so proud of Hannah, that I got goose bumps and wanted to cry! A moment where I thought "THIS is why we are Homeschooling and I am so thankful for being able to do so!"

We sat down to do our lessons this afternoon and they were taking forever. We are working on tens and ones for Singapore Math. She just wanted to play (she figured out she could draw straight lines with the aid of a ruler) and it took us about 10 minutes longer to get through our math. At that point, I pretty much wrote off our lessons for the day. What we got done, great, what we didn't get done, such as life and why we HS.

As a result, I didn't even try to get Hannah to do her Explode the Code, which is heavy on reading and printing. She has to be in the right mood for that.

So we jumped right to Abeka k4 ABC123 work book. This is easier work for her usually. It is full of blend ladders, very light math (counting and color by number) and pictures where you have to circle the correct letter or blend a picture begins with. The first page we come to, isn't just circle the correct letter, but circle the correct WORD! Yes, she can read, but she has always needed me there, to help her sound out words by moving my finger across the words and such. (or so I thought...)

Today, she kicked me out of the room so she could surprise me with her work. I quickly go over the pictures so she is clear as to what each one is (ya, really didn't need to do this, I know...) first she comes to me after I left and says "mom, that wasn't a hat! It was a cap!" and runs back to her room. I sit in the front room, hearing her sound out the words on her own, no help from me. Talk about a huge smile!

So I go and look at her work when she is done. She got them all right!!!

Why is this such a big deal?
She had enough confidence in herself to want to try this on her own and
she took the time to read each word, on her own, correctly.

To finish off our lesson, she read me half of her new reader. I am on cloud nine here!

Sorry this is such a long winded post. I am just so proud of Hannah right now.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Hannah!!!! Very proud of you too sweetie!! :)

    ReplyDelete