We are lucky, most of the work books are a mix of the Preschool/Kindergarten, so we are just skipping ahead to the official K work. I am also going to add 2 more work bins, so we will be going from 6 to 8! She has no problem sitting for the 6 bins so I think 8 should be fine.
Two things that seems to work well, and I will keep, is breaking the lesson into 2 parts. Workbooks in the morning, her reading, crafts and such in the afternoon, I will just add more to the afternoon. Also working well is the planning of 4 days, even though we usually end up doing 5-6 days of work in a week. I have figured out a google document system that has been working well for the last 5ish months so that will also be sticking around.
I suspect our days will be around the 45 min. to 1 hr mark, not including the free bin, #8.
Our days will look like this :) ( will more than likely change A LOT in the next few weeks...)
Monday
1 Singapore Math, Essentials Kindergarten - math
2 ABeka ABC 123 and Readers - phonics
3 Scholastic Success for Kindergarten - printing
4 Cat in the Hat's Learning Library unit study/lap book. Each unit will last 2 weeks - science
break till after lunch
5 Bob Books, HOP books, and books for me to read to her - reading (done daily, even if not in a bin)
6 Sight Word Flash Cards - memory, reading
7 Reading and Writing - reading, writing, puzzles, mazes, readiness and much more
8 Free - craft, science experiment, puzzle, game, work center, bake, music, dancing, nature hike, dexterity games...
Tuesday
Playschool
after lunch
1 Singapore Math
2 Scholastic Success
3 Cat in the Hat unit study/lapbook
4 Bob Books, HOP, me reading to her
Wednesday, same as Monday
Thursday
Playschool
after lunch
1 Singapore Math
2 Scholastic Success
3 Sight Words
4 Bob Books, HOP, me reading to her
Goal is, if we are home on Fridays, is to also have a few of the bins out as 'free' where that will have crafts, baking, puzzles and such. Those are so important to Hannah and my walls, or Grandparent's fridges, that we must keep that up!
It is amazing to me. Next week, my baby will be turning 4, and to think back to where we were, one year ago, blows my mind!
The last week of August 2009, we started our lessons. Letteroftheweek.com was our curric. We started this because, even tho she knew all of her letters, she didn't know sounds, could print some but not all and only upper, no lower case. Now, a year later, not only is she printing her letters, both upper and lower, she is sounding out 3 letter words and spelling them, and reading BOB books to us.
She could count, but didn't understand that if I say "clap your hands 3 times" to clap 3 times and stop, she would just keep clapping. Now we are 1/2 way through an actual Kindergarten curric. for math after flying through the PreK work books! I also think that this is her favorite subject.
So this coming week will be one to remember!
She will start PlaySchool ( I call it PLAYschool because this school is HUGE on learning though play and not 'academics'. One of the reasons why I like this school. Hannah loves her work books, but that isn't learning through play. So this is hitting it from a different angle. Has nothing to do with the "Socialization" line us mom's hear that plan on/do homeschooling. Really, she is plenty social, trust me :} )
And my baby will turn 4, another year down, gone way too fast! NOT ready for that. Thankfully, as she grows, it doesn't mean (YET) that she will grow out of telling me she loves me, or needing the countless cuddles during the day... Just means another grade up :) and another size up in clothing!
And since I feel guilty if I don't post a picture of Hannah, here you go :) This was taken today. Must find a way to get that tattoo off...
No comments:
Post a Comment