Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 15, 2010

We are slowing picking up momentum on our lessons again.  For the last month, we have only been doing 2-3 bins a day, yesterday we did 6, today, 3 down, 3 to go.  We always split up the day, do 3 in the morning, 3 after lunch, when we are full swing.  I can get Hannah's full attention/effort if I can keep each lesson session to 25 mins or less a sitting.

We are starting to try something new with our printing.  I want her comfortable with her lower case.  I was going to go order Handwriting Without Tears (HWT) but after flipping though my great work books, I realized that I have what I need right here.  I can understand why writing with 2 lines, instead of 3 can be helpful for learning the basics, I have been told that when it comes to changing over to the 3 lines, it isn't that hard, once they understand the concept of their letters.   The printing 'rules' that they have help.  So, we are going to try our workbooks for the letters, and the HWT will be a back up plan for us :)  

Has anybody else been following Abby Sunderland?  She is that 16 year old girl that attempted to sail around the world, and ran into issues in the Indian Ocean.  I have become intrigued by her story.  You can read a bit about her here, on her Abby's blog.
I feel bad for her, a girl wanting to live her dream, having to go through all sorts of criticism because she didn't make it. Personally, hats off to the young girl :)  I can only hope that Hannah, and any other children of ours that we may have have big dreams, and are able to follow their hearts like Abby did and a I am sure, will attempt again.  The last thing I want to do is trounce on my child's dream if they are fully able.  I will admit that I pray sailing around the world solo, before the age of 50 isn't in her books though :)  
Don Shelby, one of the great news anchors here, said it good.  Not an exact quote, but along the lines of  "What is scary is that you put a 16 year old behind the wheel of a car, MANY don't come home.  Would rather see my daughter try to sail around the world, than put her in a car, driving, with it full of her friends and a cell phone in her hand".   

Laundry calls my name, and time to work on our reading, number names of 12, 13, 15, and 20 as they are not two-teen, three-teen, five-teen and two-zero... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment